Reports to: Assoc. Program Manager, College Completion
Oakland Promise is working to ensure that every Oakland child will graduate from high school with the expectation, skills, and resources to complete college and be successful in the career of their choice. Oakland Promise includes four programs: Brilliant Baby, Kindergarten to College (K2C), Future Centers, and College Scholarships and Completion, that provide a cradle to career continuum of college-focused support for students. Our program strategies touch the lives of children and families in early childhood (ages 0-5), elementary, middle, and high school, culminating in multi-year scholarships and support for students in college. Our goal is to dramatically increase the number of college graduates from Oakland and ensure that all students, regardless of background, hold a college-bound identity. Oakland Promise provides two-year and four-year college scholarships and mentoring to Oakland public high school students. We are especially interested in skilled individuals committed to social change, who want to ensure the success of students underrepresented in college, attend, and graduate and expand their life opportunities. College Completion serves over 2000 scholars in postsecondary education.
Under supervision, the College Completion Program Associate works with staff, volunteers,
students, parents, mentors, and other relevant persons to support Oakland Promise’s College
Completion program. The Program Associate will cross-collaborate within other programs to carry out the strategic plan of Oakland Promise to ensure Oakland students have equitable access to programs and services needed to graduate from postsecondary education.
● Support a caseload of Scholars and/or Mentors with individual questions related to the
success of Scholar
● Build a network of support for Scholar and Mentor through direct services and referrals to
other campus resources, community organizations
● Track all Scholars and Mentors inquiries in Salesforce (Email, Text, Phone calls)
● Share all job/internship opportunities with Scholars and Mentors
● Assist in delivering workshops for Scholar and/or Mentors with a focus on preparing
Scholars to graduate from college
● Assist students in making informed decisions, setting short and long terms goals
● Provide programmatic support in the planning and implementation of events
● Administer surveys for Scholars and Mentors
● Support the scholarship distribution process
● Other tasks as assigned
1. Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of one year of professional experience in either college
access/advising services/persistence/mentoring, or related skills
2. Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple deadlines
3. Event Planning skills
4. Excellent interpersonal and writing skills
5. Deep commitment to and passion for Oakland Promise’s vision
6. Ability to pass a fingerprint, background check, and TB test
7. Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Suite, and Familiarity with
Salesforce Database, WordPress or ability to learn
8. Some evening and weekend hours are required.
● Experience or education in postsecondary schools
● Direct experience working with college students, volunteers, families, and community
● Knowledge of and connections to Oakland communities
● A full-time non-exempt position with medical, dental, and vision benefits
● Oakland Promise offers 401k, medical, dental, vision benefits, vacation, and sick time
Employment eligibility will include fingerprints, tuberculosis, and other employment clearance.
Oakland Promise does not discriminate in any program, activity, or employment on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, gender, sex, or sexual orientation.
We are looking for candidates with availability to start immediately and encourage you to apply if you are interested in and qualified for the position. Please email a copy of your cover letter and resume to [email protected] Failure to send both items will result in delays of application process.