Reports to: Senior Manager, Development
Job Title: Development Associate
Reports to: Senior Manager, Development
Ideal Start Date: Posted March 2021, open until filled
Location: Downtown Oakland, remote currently
Overview | Oakland Promise
The mission of Oakland Promise is to engage the Oakland community to advance equity and economic mobility through cradle-to-career educational opportunities. Founded in 2016, Oakland Promise is a citywide movement with over 50 implementation partners working towards our common vision.
Oakland Promise supports children and families from birth through college and career to ensure that postsecondary success is a reality for all Oaklanders.
Oakland Promise includes four programs: Brilliant
Baby, Kindergarten to College (K2C), Future Centers, and College Scholarships and Completion, that provide a cradle to career continuum of college-focused supports for students. Our goal is to dramatically increase the number of college graduates from Oakland and ensure that all students hold a college-bound identity. We seek a hard working, highly detail oriented individual to join our community in undertaking this important work.
The Oakland Promise seeks a detail-oriented development associate with excellent organizational, communication, and systems management skills and a passion for expanding opportunities for Oakland children and families to join its growing team. The Development Associate will be a part of an innovative development team tasked with raising the annual budget of around $12 million as well as other ongoing fundraising campaigns. The team works across the organization to ensure that the organization is sustainable in the short- and long-term.
Duties & Responsibilities
▪ Provide front-line fund development support, including grant writing and reporting, processing of gifts, and communications with donors and prospects.
▪ Assist the Development Team in identifying and qualifying major gift prospects, help develop appropriate cultivation and solicitation strategies, and execute individualized action plans
▪ Ensure that donor data is accurately entered in the Oakland Promise custom donor database and and Google Drive – reconcile the database to financial reports on a regular basis
▪ Assist in the creation of marketing materials, including direct mail campaigns, annual reports, and other fundraising collateral.
▪ Help in the planning and execution of organizational events, including both donor, program, and PR events
▪ With the team, support Oakland Promise’s donor recognition, retention, and stewardship programs
▪ Help the team prepare for meetings with individuals, foundations, government and institutional funders and prospects.
▪ Other duties as assigned
● Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience
● Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and manage multiple competing deadlines
● Excellent communication and writing skills
● Deep commitment to and passion for the vision of the Oakland Promise
● Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint
● Proficient with Google Suite tools
● Strong self-motivation and ability to operate effectively with limited direct management
● Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and adapt to new situations
● Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups
● Bachelor’s Degree
● Previous fundraising and/or events experience
● Proficient with Salesforce Databases
● Experience with Canva or other graphics programs
● Experience in the fields of education or college access
● Knowledge of and connections to Oakland communities
● Full-time exempt position
● Oakland Promise offers medical, dental, and vision benefits, vacation, and sick-time.
● Some evening and weekend hours may be required
We are looking for candidates with availability to start immediately, and encourage you to apply if you are interested in and qualified for the position.
To apply: Send a single PDF (NOT a Microsoft Word document) of a resume and thoughtful cover letter to [email protected] with “OP Development Associate- [Your Name]” in the subject line. Please use your last name and first initial (ex: Doe_J) as the filename of your PDF containing your resume and cover letter. Failure to follow these instructions may delay the review of your application. Applications will be reviewed immediately and candidates with the best fit will be contacted for interviews. Unfortunately, the volume of applications will prevent us from responding to all applications received.