Under minimal supervision, the Manager (Sr.), College Access and Career Development, is responsible for working with students, parents, and other relevant persons to support the work of the Oakland Promise College Access program. The Manager will manage a staff of three and collaborate with College and Career Readiness Specialists to ensure that the college access needs of all students, including historically marginalized students, are addressed in all aspects of program planning and ensure Oakland students have equitable access to programs and services needed to graduate from high school and pursue postsecondary education and careers. In addition, the Manager will work to intentionally share best practices with all Oakland public schools to assure all students in Oakland have the necessary skills and expectations for postsecondary planning.
- Lead Oakland Promise/Great Expectations Scholarship Recruitment
- Develop strategies to increase scholarship applications through workshops, presentations, and data tracking to goals for recruitment
- Collab with the Data team, create a schedule for interviews, select scholarship awardees.
- Support Oakland Partner High Schools’ College Access work
- Stay up-to-date on best practices and changes to financial aid and college application processes.
- Collaborate with other College Access and College Completion staff to ensure efficiency and alignment
- Develop a strategy to get more students without a postsecondary plan into Career Technical Education programs
- Develop and lead MOU’s with Career Access programs like HCC, ECCCO, etc. to guarantee students have real-time information and access to these programs
- Lead Communications
- Create monthly newsletters for College Access work
- Maintain Oakland Promise College Access website – Social media platforms – Manage photo library
- Present at conferences, panels, and other platforms
- Support Community College Transition and work with Oakland Public schools counselors to guide incoming first-year students to complete the necessary successful enrollment steps
- Family Engagement
- Support and manage the College Access Family Engagement Specialist
- Strategize engagement of under-represented families in Oakland schools (African American, Latinx, newcomer, etc.)
- Data entry
- Running reports to ensure short and long-term College Access goals (i.e., FAFSA, Visits to Future Centers, and College access centers and track scholarship applications submitted, etc.)
- Attend school events and Oakland Promise meetings as required
- Black College Expo Lead – coordinate with partners for HBCU fair
- Perform other related duties and projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years of professional experience in either college access/persistence, nonprofit management, or related skills
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple competing deadlines required
- Event Planning
- Excellent interpersonal and writing skills
- Deep commitment to and passion for the Oakland Promise vision
- Ability to pass a fingerprint, background check, and TB test
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Google Suite, and Familiarity with Salesforce Database or ability to learn
- Some evening and weekend hours are required.
- Experience or education in K-12 schools
- Direct experience working with high school students, families, and community ● Knowledge of and connections to Oakland communities
- A full-time non-exempt position with medical, dental, and vision benefits
- The Oakland Promise offers 401k, medical, dental, vision benefits, vacation, and sick time
Employment eligibility will include fingerprints, tuberculosis, and other employment clearance
The Oakland Promise does not discriminate in any program, activity, or employment on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, gender, sex, or sexual orientation.
We are looking for candidates with availability to start immediately and encourage you to apply if you are interested in and qualified for the position.
To apply: Send a single PDF (NOT a Microsoft Word document) of a resume and thoughtful cover letter to [email protected] with “College Access and Career Development Manager” in the subject line. Please use your last name and first initial (ex: Doe_J) as the filename of your PDF containing your resume and cover letter.
Failure to follow these instructions may delay the review of your application. Applications will be reviewed immediately and candidates with the best fit will be contacted for interviews. Unfortunately, the volume of applications will prevent us from responding to all applications received.
Make a huge difference in the Oakland community!
Join our team! Send applications to [email protected]