Reports to: Senior Manager, Development
About Oakland Promise
The mission of Oakland Promise is to engage the Oakland community to advance equity and economic mobility through cradle-to-career educational opportunities. Founded in 2016, Oakland Promise is a citywide movement with over 50 implementation partners working towards our common vision. Oakland Promise supports children and families from birth through college and career to ensure that postsecondary success is a reality for all Oaklanders. Oakland Promise includes four programs: Brilliant Baby, Kindergarten to College (K2C), Future Centers, and College Scholarships and Completion, that provide a cradle to career continuum of college-focused supports for students. Our goal is to dramatically increase the number of college graduates from Oakland and ensure that all students hold a college-bound identity. We seek a hard working, highly detail oriented individual to join our community in undertaking this important work.
Oakland Promise seeks a detail-oriented development manager with excellent organizational, communication, and systems management skills and a passion for expanding opportunities for Oakland children and families to join its growing team. The Development Manager will be a part of an innovative development team tasked with raising the annual budget of around $12 million as well as other ongoing fundraising campaigns. The team works across the organization to ensure that the organization is sustainable in the short- and long-term.
Duties & Responsibilities
We are looking for candidates with availability to start immediately, and encourage you to apply if you are interested in and qualified for the position.
To apply: Send a single PDF (NOT a Microsoft Word document) of a resume and thoughtful cover letter to [email protected] with “OP Development Manager – [Your Name]” in the subject line. Please use your last name and first initial (ex: Doe_J) as the filename of your PDF containing your resume and cover letter.
Failure to follow these instructions may delay the review of your application. Applications will be reviewed immediately and candidates with the best fit will be contacted for interviews. Unfortunately, the volume of applications will prevent us from responding to all applications received.
The Oakland Promise
The Oakland Promise Brilliant Baby program promotes the healthy early development and kindergarten
readiness of babies born to economically marginalized families by supporting their parents in a way that reduces
financial stressors and increases their optimism and engagement in the critical first months and years of their
baby’s life. Brilliant Baby is one of four programs within the Oakland Promise , which has as its mission to
advance equity and economic mobility through cradle to college and career achievement.
Implemented in partnership with early childhood education programs, infant home visiting programs and
pediatric clinics, Brilliant Baby establishes college savings accounts seeded with $500 for babies born into
Medi-Cal eligible families. Brilliant Baby parents also are offered the chance to participate in a financial
coaching program designed to support them as they pursue their hopes and dreams for their family. Brilliant
Baby has a team of five staff members within Oakland Promise, as well as five contractor financial coaches.
Brilliant Baby has set up over 730 College Savings Accounts for infants in Oakland, who collectively have
$413,000 invested for their college futures.
The Operations and Outreach Coordinator works under the supervision of the Sr. Program Manager. They lead
the development and implementation of internal systems to run the Brilliant Baby program, and support with
parent outreach, program enrollment, and client customer service.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
● Support Brilliant Baby Program Operations
○ Support planning & production of Brilliant Baby events, virtual and in person
○ Manage G-suite files & Contact lists
○ Process payments to clients and vendors
○ Ordering, assembly and distribution of program materials
○ Maintain program Operations Manuals
● Outreach & Enrollment
○ Make presentations to parents and key stakeholders
○ Targeted outreach to African American families
○ Enroll families in Brilliant Baby
● Customer service support to Brilliant Baby families
○ Ensure addresses are current
○ Monitor to ensure Interested Party access; fix as needed
○ Respond to parent inquiries/customer service
○ Support parent leaders on BB Advisory Committee
● Coordinate Brilliant Baby Communications
○ Develop parent-facing flyers and videos, coordinate distribution
○ Post to Brilliant Baby social media
○ Support direct to parent marketing strategies
● Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
● Commitment to social justice and the mission of the Oakland Promise
● Passion for families and early childhood development
● Self-starter who works well independently and takes initiative
● Excellent organizational and time management skills
● Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others
● Facility with technology, demonstrated ability to learn technology tools quickly
● Ability to work flexible schedule (required to work some evenings/weekends)
● Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent
● Minimum two years relevant experience
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Proficient in Google Suite including Docs, Sheets and Slides
● Proficient in social media: Instagram, FaceBook, Twitter
● Bachelor’s Degree
● Proficient in PowToons, Canva, Salesforce
● Experience or education in early childhood development, education, and/or asset-building strategies to
address poverty or other anti-poverty work.
● Experience working with children, families and community
● Expereience in an administrative role
● Knowledge of and connections to Oakland communities
● Has a car and able to deliver program materials to partner organizations
● Full-time non-exempt position
● The Oakland Promise offers medical, dental, and vision benefits, vacation, and sick-time.
Internal and external applicants please submit a cover letter and resume to: